Friday, July 3, 2009

A Permanent Split...

The dip in the ice cold blues was refreshing. It helped clear the cob webs in my head or so I felt, at least then. I decided to take the lazy walk home and give myself some more clear thinking time. The cool evening breeze made me shiver a wee bit, what with the body still attuned to the water and strokes. Light headed and warmed and cold equally I dragged each step towards the road that took me home.

Little did I realize that imagination was already spinning its silken grey threads and weaving new cobwebs for me. Lost in my neverland, I was jolted back to reality at the touch of what felt like dead snake skin brushing against my feet. The front wheel of the bike nearly did or maybe actually did touch my feet, while I could still hear the screeching of the brakes. OK so this was it, I had blindly crossed the road until I found myself heading straight into the bike. I shut myself mentally to let the abuse and anger pour out. But there was silence and it was the calmness that made me look up. A stark contrast to my empty eyes, dark circles, and tanned face was a clear, bright, and smiling one staring back at me. A face that smiles and spreads smile like my good ol’ monk. My lips cracked into something akin but I found it difficult to say thank you, maybe because there was this buried sense of regret at the miss. Our eyes locked for a fraction of a second, a tryst of life and death. It was difficult to break the contact and move on. The sudden honking of horns was enough to break the spell. I don’t know how long the moment lasted, a few minutes, a second, a split second….but it made a permanent impact.

I clutched the nothingness in my fists tightly and moved on with my head high. I could feel the gaze bore into the back of my neck, but I did not turn back. I moved on. I could sense my god speeding away too, to never come back.

-Mon

4 comments:

  1. hmmm - so the brew has a better flavour when u wean fiction out of bits of reality - good going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @D.....thanks for commenting, I know you get bored of posting comments...am glad you like the fiction streak...thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Shasi....well well attractive yes, wish HE was true or atleast the true was real ;-)....you certainly know what I mean :-) thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete