Friday, November 27, 2009

A Gesture Too Subtle

It has been a drab of a day. A mix of too much for the broth to taste good. I feel exhausted, wasted, and brain dead. I walk monotonously across the passageways of my office moving from my floor to the library to the break-out and back to my desk. Thoughtless, absent minded lost. One door after another open close open close. I swipe my access card proving my presence, physically atleast, and wait for the door to bang in my face as another weary employee walks out, dead with patience I await my turn to walk out. No bang on the face? Click back to reality. Wow the guy who just moved out is holding the door for me. I realize this is where I truly need to be polite. I want to say a word but he is busy on the phone, yet his face does not show any sign of impatience or the get on darn am holding the door looks. I smile and hope I conveyed it all.

That was nice, I tell myself. A series of thoughts cross my mind, he is probably as tired and brain dead as I am, as busy trying to make a balance out of life, speaking on the phone, swiping his card, trying to run out, yet just a thoughtful gesture also makes him reach out, to someone unknown. I say thank you a little loud, my smile is a little brighter, but maybe the newness shows on my face. In acknowledgement he nods and walks slowly but steadily away.

I ask myself what felt good, meeting a gentleman after eons or being trated a lady after ages?

-Mon

3 comments:

  1. Check this out.
    http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~jenf/writing/rant04.html
    Guess we all look for a little something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one.. Swiping card and proving to be physically there is superb!! Attimes, when we are in race with life or when we do not want anything from life, we tend to go in some unknown world.. Maybe these small good gestures make us feel humble, respected, and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Altaf: Yopu got it right...just my point :-) Thanks for reading and writing back. I love the extreme strife you bring out in your comment by putting 2 extremely opposite criteria of wanting much or nothing from race of life. Thanks.

    @Nirmal: Hmm good read the rant is....my toast to the 'nice guys' to where ever they maybe :-)

    ReplyDelete